Saturday, March 19, 2011

Wedding festivities, NY edition

One of the best things I got out of my time in DC was a wonderful new friend, a constant during the crazy who was always there for sanity checks and explorations of the city.  Yeah, basically we ate out a lot, but we also did awesome things like explore Annapolis and enjoy Labor Day outings in New York and get up close with cherry blossoms.  We also both happened to meet the crazy guys who decided they wanted to marry us (a little weird, right? just a little?), and I was more than happy to head back to the East Coast for a New York weekend to celebrate the union of the fabulous Dana Duffin and Rex Holmes

Craig flew up from DC + I flew in from Dallas = reunion in JFK, once I actually figured out which terminal I landed in.  Poor guy was confused when I told him I was in Terminal B and he informed me the terminals are numbers, not letters.  Oops on my part.  We worked it out, though.  Totally found each other.

We didn't have any real plans for Friday night - we just set out to have some fun in the city.  I LOVE NYC.  I really do.  I have a coffee mug that says so.

After navigating the AirTrain and the LIRR and the NYC subway and a couple of blocks (phew!), we checked into the Belvedere and promptly headed out to start our evening at Casellula for a little food and a glass of wine to fuel our bodies for some serious Times Square strolling.  This place was extremely cute, extremely delicious, and EXTREMELY busy by the time we left to do some walking.  We stopped by the TKTS booth about ten minutes before the shows kicked off to see if we could snag bargain tickets to a Broadway extravaganza, but the only half-price tickets were for the pricey seats, which means they were still a little pricey for our liking.

So instead, I bought a $5 scarf/wrap/pashmina-thing from the crazy street guys.  And we were just confused by sheep.


Our chilly-ish night needed an injection of fun, so we headed back to base camp and formulated a plan around "tiki bar."  Oh yes we did.  And that's where we went.  Look for the big yellow surfboard and you'll find yourself at Réunion in Hell's Kitchen.  It was FUN.  And I think I'm now addicted to mai tais.

Follow up mai tais with a late dinner at Becco and it was a pretty stellar NYC evening.

Saturday: fairly ridiculous driving adventure through Queens with a WAY lost shuttle bus driver on our way to the church, beautiful wedding ceremony, epic and beautiful and touching and fun and amazing reception at Westbury Manor in Long Island.  Fantastic day with Craig celebrating this wonderful event.  The boy even tore up the dance floor a little bit. THAT is how you know it was a good time.

Note to self: I've resolved to go ahead and take the beast camera to weddings.  And everywhere.  I had this silly idea to rely on Craig's little camera for pictures so I wouldn't have to bring the giant purse and my giant camera and worry about its well-being with drunken revelry all around.  I deeply regret this idea.

I'm sad about this picture. =(
Congratulations to Dana and Rex!!

No comments: