Thursday, March 26, 2009

Sign, sign, everywhere a sign

Never hurts to always have your highly portable camera on hand. As much as I would love to invest in a ridiculously awesome camera and the lenses to go with it, it's hard to pass up the handy size of my current device. I try to always have it on hand so I can capture whatever might come across my path during the day. I mean, you really never know. I've spotted some interesting/amusing/probably-only-funny-to-Erin signage along the way, and it's time to share a few:


Parked outside the Judiciary Square metro stop. Now, does the FBI really need "police?" I mean, they are the FBI....why don't they just put "FBI" on the side of the car and be done with it? I guess they have to distinguish between the truly intimidating folks and the ones who push paper all day.


Spotted near a security checkpoint outside the White House. Do they intend for the dogs to throw away their trash? "Now, Bruiser, you throw away that greasy wrapper from your street vendor hot dog!" Maybe it has something to do with training vicious attack dogs, fierce canines who sniff out drugs and would-be terrorists...


Snapped this picture while driving through Georgetown. Tons of diplomat plates all over this city, but I don't think I usually see them on a Hyundai Azera. Cost cutting is everywhere!! Actually, this car probably sets you back more than I think it would. I really enjoy the pretty shade of blue that distinguishes a diplomat plate from all the commoners on the road.


This won't comfort Mom and Dad too much, but I snagged this picture while stuck in traffic about a block from the only Target actually in DC. Logically, shouldn't this particular warning be in effect no matter where you are? I'm guessing this area is known for something more than the fairly recent opening of large chain stores...

And continuing with our stuck in traffic photo opportunities...grabbed this one while winding my way down Constitution Avenue, and I knew when I laughed out loud at the bumper sticker under the brake light that I should snap a quick picture and share it.

More to come, I'm sure - there are all kinds of crazies in this city and signs to go with them.

3 comments:

Jason Gaj. said...

"FBI Police" sounds like an action cop show! Which probably occurs to me mostly because there was a show-within-a-show called "Police Cops" on an episode of the Simpsons.

Erin said...

Perhaps there could be back to back to back specials of "Police Cops," "FBI Police," and "Spook Spies." I think TNT would go for it, mostly because they know drama.

Anonymous said...

Columbia Heights while a diverse and storied community, was largely blighted with burned down storefronts, buildings etc. in the 80 and early 90s open air drug trade was at it's peak, and the neighborhood was crippled with gang violence. Fats forward to the present, and condo development, a shopping mall, and metro station have completely changed the look ad feel of columbia heights. You would never have seen even a fraction of the white folks you're likley to see on 14th on a weekend night. It used to be drug dealers and hookers. But the same is true of 8th st SE and that's changed.