Monday, August 23, 2010

Take me out to the ballgame

You know how I said I was going to get out and do more D.C. things?  Well, I'm going to say that a trip to a Nats game (granted, this was a couple of weeks ago - I'm still a little behind in the world o' blogging) qualifies as both a cherished, typical, all-American summer outing AND a D.C. adventure...little D.C. twists on baseball, if you will.


D.C.-ish bit #1: enjoying a half-smoke from Ben's instead of the typical hot dog fare.  Don't get me wrong - I LOVE those ballpark hot dogs.  Photographic evidence available here.  But I also love a 1/2 pork, 1/2 beef smoked sausage topped with mustard, onions, and a delightfully spicy chili sauce.  Messy?  Yes.  Delicious?  Yes.  A test on my iron stomach?  Probably yes, although I'm still doing ok in that department.  I do not look forward to the day when I have to worry about things like heartburn.  I'm afraid that day is coming sooner than I might expect.  Probably also not the best choice when it's so freakin' hot outside that I'm dripping sweat during the entire (night!) game.  Should have just had cup after cup of gelato.  Hmmm, that could also be dangerous...

D.C.-ish bit #2:  getting all excited about the shiny new kid in town...and then finding out he's not so perfect.  I mean, good grief, he's only human, not some robotic, constantly winning pitching machine.  Oh, for the backstory, this city has been nothing less than obsessed with Stephen Strasburg, a pitching phenom who's been dazzling us with his heroic displays of athletic ability.  Oh, until he went on to the land of the injured with this shoulder business, which cooled the enthusiasm the tiniest bit.  I mean, they're naming burgers after this guy.


So I caught his return from the land of the injured.  And he only played a few innings, gave up a few runs, and generally looked a little off.  Then again, I can't exactly launch a fastball at a triple-digit MPH mark, so I really have no room to talk.  Here's hoping you can help bring the Nationals out of the gutter, Strasburg - the Washingtonians would appreciate it.

D.C.-ish bit #3:  Metro to the game.  Always an adventure.  Crowds, crowds, crowds.  But there's really something to be said for not dealing with parking.  And if you're not up for the Metro crowds before or after the game, you can always take a cab there.  Or home.  Which I did.  It was awesome.



D.C.-ish bit #4:  the Racing Presidents are far superior to the dot game the Rangers have going.  Wouldn't you rather watch George, Tom, Abe, and Teddy actually race around the field for a little between-innings hijinks?  I thought so.  I just wonder if poor Teddy will ever actually win. 

Also, a small baseball public service announcement - please remember to watch out for wayward balls.  It would stink to get bonked in the head.

No comments: