Friday, March 12, 2010

Sing me one more song about old San Antone

I have a hard time with this East Coast, Mid-Atlantic, wherever-it-is-that-I-am world where people have NEVER HEARD of Pat Green.  I'm not saying you have to love his music or even know a single lyric, but to have never even HEARD of him?  I miss Texas.  I mean, I may be somewhat biased in this regard since he went to Tech and all and I feel some sort of loyalty there, but come on, people.

Needless to say, I was in need of a dose of Texas last Saturday, so I rounded up a couple of fellow Texan ex-pats and we made our way over to the 9:30 Club for the sounds of home.  We even managed to get there in time to snag our prime spot right up by the stage...I refer to it as "our" spot since we were pretty much exactly where we were last year when Pat Green came to town, which I thought was pretty cool.  Ok, it wasn't exactly the same - I'm not sure if they were expecting a stampede to the stage or what, but we had some pretty serious barricades blocking us from getting closer than three, four feet away.  Watch out for those rowdy Texans!

Texas flags flying from the second floor seating. Cowboys boots and hats in abundance.  An abundance of acoutis guitars.  Ahhhhhh.  Just what I needed.

This time around was a little bit different from last year's show.  I didn't bother taking my camera since, sadly, the 9:30 Club won't let me use it in there...and both batteries for my trusty old Olympus were completely drained when I thought to check it on my way out the door.  Opening act this year was someone I'd actually heard of, Wade Bowen, who was far superior to the crazy overalls lady from last year.  Pat was a little less drunk this year, and they couldn't quite recreate the infamous pick toss.



But all in all, a pretty great evening of country music and a little bit of home here in our nation's capital.

No comments: