Saturday, February 14, 2009

I'm saved!!

As excited as I am about trying all things new and having amazing new experiences and new this and new that during my time in DC....sometimes I just want what I know. Especially if that happens to be....Tex-Mex!! I no longer need to write to my Texas representatives because I have my very own ambassadors to all things Texas right here with me (for a few more months, anyway!), and they have shown me the way. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Jon & Erin Drucker, for leading me to Rio Grande. No, not the actual Rio Grande, but a fantastic restaurant owned by the Uncle Julio's folks that is only a hop, skip, and a Metro ride away in Arlington. As I emerged from the Metro entrance and headed down the block, I was greeting with the faint smell of....could it be??....yes, smoking fajitas! As the familiar and delicious waves of smoky goodness wafted my way, I think I may have teared up a little bit. Fortunately, the sidewalks weren't too crowded and I could gather my emotions before actually entering the restaurant.

It was everything I hoped it would be. First and foremost, it was fantastic to see a familiar face - one person there has actually known me for more than a few weeks! So great to see Erin and catch up a little bit. And then....the food. Oh, the food. Chips and salsa in abundance, and of course we got a bowl of queso. I think I could have stopped right there. Actually, given the massive quantities of food I continued to consume, it probably would have been in the best interest of my health to stop there. Unable to choose between this and that, I opted for...well, pretty much all of it. Juanita's Platter.


I should have taken a picture of my actual plate, because it contained substantially more cheese and sauce than is reflected above. Chicken enchilada. Cheese enchilada. Pork tamale. Crispy beef taco. Rice. Charro beans. Truer words of love were never spoken....maybe I'm feeling a little mushy since it is Valentine's Day and all, so forgive me if the food-love statements are a little over the top.

I'm proud to say that I did exercise a very tiny amount of self-control and manage to leave some tasty morsels on the plate. Yes, kind waiter, please take this away immediately before I inflict serious pain on myself. It's unfortunate that we stuffed ourselves into oblivion and couldn't manage dessert, especially when Dana asked "what's a sopapilla?" Oh, kind friend from Queens, NY, I have so much to teach you. We will be back. Chile relleno, I'm coming for you.

No comments: