Monday, August 17, 2009

Jazz in the Garden

Friday night I found myself at Jazz in the Garden at the National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden. Now, I'm not usually a jazz kind of gal. You might even call me a bit of a jazz neophyte. Being my anal, structured self, I typically prefer something a little more orderly...something where you can really keep the beat, follow what's going on, tap your feet to a rhythm.

You know what? I really wouldn't care what kind of music they showcase at Jazz in the Garden - it could be Showtunes in the Garden or Solid Gold Oldies in the Garden or Throwback Jamz in the Garden - this is just a good time to be had by all. I couldn't even tell you who was playing last Friday without looking at the schedule, which is conveniently available online here. Basically, the premise is...grab some friends, a blanket, a picnic, and spend an hour or two or three or more hanging out the sculpture garden, listening to some good music, enjoying a pleasant summer evening of live music and ridiculously strong pitchers of sangria.

It was so crowded by the time I made my way there! Fortunately, I was meeting an exceptionally tall person who's quite good at providing directions in a crowded space with certain landmarks. This exceptionally tall person happens to be Carolyn's boyfriend, Justin, who was in town for the weekend visiting a friend, so I met up with them and spent some good time catching up and enjoying a D.C. summer evening. I don't think I would ever get tired of Jazz in the Garden.

No comments: