Friday, September 16, 2011

Bat! MOVE!!

Yup, it's almost time for the bat.  And this only happened...you know...two months ago.  A little behind on blogging due to this whole "busy season" thing I didn't miss while in DC and am still not a huge fan of.  Anyway...our last evening in Beaver Creek was off to a perfect, relaxing start - delicious carb-loaded dinner lovingly prepared by Kami.  And then...adventures in dessert.  I will share my scary makeup-free face just to show you my total excitement at scavenging for sticks and finding the perfect ones for marshmallow roasting.



We successfully built a roaring file (I'm so proud!) and proceeded to melt/burn things into tasty deliciousness.  Yes, it was actually cool enough to light a fire.  Colorado during the summer is awesome.

 


Did you know you can smash a peanut M&M into a marshmallow and make something tasty even tastier?  I wish I could take credit, but it was totally Kami's idea.
And then...the bat.  We'd opened up the windows in the condo to let the cool breeze in...and we also happened to let in A BAT.  It swooshed in through a window and set off a great round of screaming and covering with blankets and general swooshing about in efforts to send the hideous creature back to the night from whence it came.  Instead of immediately swooping back out as we hoped, it decided to cling to the stone wall in our condo and REFUSE TO MOVE. 

Not a great bat picture, and in no way does it capture the moment when the bat started creeping across the rock and stared at us with devil bat eyes.  I didn't have my zoom lens on, and you can bet your life I wasn't leaving the room to go do something silly like switch lenses.  And I refuse to publicly post on the blog semi-humiliating pictures of us in various stages of bat defense. 

There's also a video out there.  It largely consists of me screaming "bat!  MOVE!!" while throwing objects (empty water bottles, pillows, small candles...anything, really), attempting to get it to move down to level one where Kami and Carolyn were ready to swish it back out the window.  All in all, I'd say the bat removal process took 45 minutes.  Forty-five very stressful minutes.  Here's what we needed to get ourselves through the experience.  Along with at least one disc of Sex and the City.

After that traumatic experience, we actually slept pretty well - and then we had to hit the road.  Boo.  Like, major boo.  Definitely did not want to leave our vacation.  So...we pinned our hopes on the Colorado lottery.  Which didn't exactly work out, but at least we got a scenic overlook out of the deal.

Goodbye, mountains. =(
We snuck into Denver with enough time for a pretty amazing burger at the Cherry Cricket (have you ever had cream cheese on a burger?  if not, try this immediately!!  so tasty), then it was off to the airport and back to reality.  I gave a vacation rundown to Craig with a drawing...but I don't think he was nearly as amused as I was.

Love you, girls!  Love you, mountains!  So long, vacation!!

No comments: